Southampton-Leicester City Preview
Having scored his 17th goal in all competitions this season in Thursday's 1-1 draw at Chelsea, James Maddison is hoping to reward Leicester City fans for their support with a win against Southampton.
Maddison has scored 14 Premier League goals from outside the box since his 2018 debut in the competition – a tally only bettered by Saints' James Ward-Prowse (15) – and his efforts have been a highlight of an otherwise underwhelming season for Leicester.
Speaking after the draw in London, Maddison thanked Leicester's fans for their backing and professed his hope the team could respond with a final-day win.
"It's always nice when the last game is in front of our fans, they've been brilliant again," he said. "They were so loud in the away end, especially when you come to a team like Chelsea, who are going to have a lot of possession, which they did. We'll get back to King Power Stadium on Sunday and hopefully give them a good send-off for the summer."
Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl, meanwhile, has come under pressure after overseeing a five-game winless run (one draw, four losses), and is acutely aware of the need to generate some positivity ahead of a long summer.
"It's important every season to finish on a high because you have nearly three months without a game," he said. "It makes a difference to go out with a positive result. We want to turn our frustrations around with positive energy to come back stronger next season.
"It's been an exhausting season for us. It seems that we cannot hold our levels at their highest until the end of the season, so we need to strengthen that for the future. That will give us the chance to end up better than in the last two years."
Leicester City – Jamie Vardy
The Foxes striker has scored six goals on the final day of Premier League seasons – amongst players still playing in the competition, only Tottenham's Harry Kane (eight) has more – and he will be determined to add to his 14 league goals this term.
Southampton – Che Adams
Only Ward-Prowse (nine) has outscored seven-goal forward Adams for the Saints in the Premier League this season. After striking in a 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture, the Scotland international could provide a goal threat again.
- Leicester are looking to win consecutive home league games against Southampton for the first time since April 2016, with their 2-0 win in this fixture last season ending a four-game winless home run in the league against Saints (D2 L2).
- Southampton have had more Premier League red cards against Leicester than they have against any other opponent (7), with four of these coming in the last seven such meetings between the sides.
- Leicester have scored 26 and conceded 33 goals in their 15 closing day games in the Premier League – their overall average of 3.93 goals-per-game is the highest on the final day of any side to have competed in more than five seasons of the competition.
- Since their return to the Premier League in 2012, Southampton have won their final league game in just two of their nine seasons (D3 L4), beating Crystal Palace 4-1 in 2015-16 and Sheffield United 3-1 in 2019-20.
- Southampton have dropped 29 points from winning positions in the Premier League this season – the last side to drop more than 29 in a single campaign were Tottenham in 2007-08 (33).
Updated May 20, 2022